Thursday, January 04, 2007

Just Do It!

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate,
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous?


Actually, who are you not to be?


We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.

And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.”

(quoted from Akeelah and the Bee)


Watching Akeelah and the Bee has reminded me something I used to do in the past; when I used to seek for challenges. I'm still wondering how I could get through a lot of competitions from different categories; news reading (English), Asian & British Parliamentary debate (in Bahasa Indonesia & English), story telling (English), basketball, drawing, speech (English), quick & smart, science competition, radio presentation (on-air), essay-writing contest (Bahasa Indonesia & English), and TV show-presenter (casting experience only). I think that's all I can remember so far. I never do dancing nor singing. In addition to that, I can't play any musical instruments. Maybe I'm not into art. Now let's back to the topic. I'm not trying to show off anyway, and fyi, I DID NOT win all of the contests. Well just some of them.

The main thing I'd like to share is what I've experienced in some competitions I participated after I watched Akeelah and the Bee. However, there is a big difference between Akeelah Anderson and me; she has her own genius talent on spelling bee and it's very obvious for everyone to see, whereas I don't have any. In other words, I don't think I have a talent. Maybe that's why I had got no burden upon specific contests I had undergone, since I didn't stick with one category. It's not because I'm good at all things, in fact I simply wanted to take challenges. I just wanted to try and I said to myself; just do it, nothing to loose though.

Basketball is the only sport competitions I do since I was primary school. I love this game, even though I'm not a good reliable player for the team. I easily get exhausted during a game which often sent me out of court from early quarter. My team never won any competitions, not even passed the preliminary round. It was really sucks. I always think, why could the other team always play better than mine? Well it usually ended up with blaming my team members' fault during the game. Why could my team never play flawlessly? But then I realize, I wasn't giving my best performance either and it was useless to regret the past. I had to watch and learn for another one.

Then I met some good friends in college which addicted to basketball. They asked me to join the team and put me as a center. Currently I don't practice with the team anymore but I always participate in basketball class-meeting annually. Finally I could feel to be a winning team sent to final. Unfortunately, there were always be another and better team than us. We got the second place for two years in a row. I was crying once, but well, whatever. As long as I played my best to score some points to the team, I was happy enough.

Another category which I love pretty much is debate.

This thing somehow looks promising to me. I went through hard time under my first competition at Canisius English Competition in 2001 and I was still happy to be home. No coaches, no practices, no matters...at all. Like their theme "debate is life, others are debatable", debate has broaden my mind about the way I should think about a matter, in life. Debate has tremendously influenced me to see a problem from many perspectives.

Generally there are two teams in a debate, one team (usually consists of 3 persons) plays as government and the other plays as opposition. Two teams have to battle upon a motion given. Government has to built a case and give a proposal to opposition and adjudicators (the judges) which strengthen their stance upon the case. As for opposition, they have to give rebuttals and destroy government's proposal. Both team must give at least two valid arguments, summary of their case, and the conclusion, if necessary.

In an English debate, I often get stuck with language barrier. I have to admit that I do have limitations on vocabularies thus I sometimes roll my eyeball, being a stutter or remain silent for a moment to find a replacement word. That was really funny though, when you have something in mind which is urged to be delivered and you don't know the exact word for it in English, then screw you! LOL.

Anyways, before getting so long with this posting, I'll share some tips to you, winner-gonnabe;
  1. Self-confidence is a must! Hell yeah, you must trust yourself that you are able to do it. Encourage yourself first, then you can convince others of what you can do.
  2. Practice makes perfect. Talent is not enough. You must practice a lot to enhance your talent and transform it to be your power. David Beckham wouldn't be a famous soccer player if he didn't practice regularly to improve his performance in Manchester United.
  3. Get a coach. Who else do you need to lead your practice to a right direction other than a coach? A winner always has a coach.
  4. Supportive environment. If you have brother, sister, cousin, children, or friend who wants to fulfil his or her dream, please cooperate. Support him or her so that he or she feels comfortable in pursuing their dreams.
  5. There's always a disappointment in a defeat. Whether it's about something wrong with the judges' decision, rivals' cheat, or any other excuses. You always have to remember, that everything happens for a reason. No matter how hard you try, when the final decision is made, you should take it as sincerely as possible. Good luck!
(Picture is courtesy of hennessyaward.org)

18 comments:

  1. What a coincidence, I really like that quote much, and actually used it in one of blog postings.

    Your tips are really useful (and true, I think). You are better than me as I used to rely too much on talents. I was into so many games and very competitive when I was a kid/teen, but I was so lazy.. never practiced anything :p Only very later in my life I realized that talents aren't enough....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, oke banget tipsnya.. :)
    Ada juga yang bilang,
    perfect preparation prevent poor presentation..

    eh iya, met tahun baru juga :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Devi, I myself joined debate in my senior high school. The tips are quite good.
    Talking about talents, it was a good idea for you to join many crazy competitions( You know, I did it too). Eventhough I was so tired and I regret to join. Now, I have advantages in joining those activities, I knew many things and I can broaden my mind( esp in debate). It is easy for me to find my talent.
    Thanks....

    ReplyDelete
  4. um... i think if its one thing ive learnt from participating in events where people are bound to get viciously competitive, i know when to accept a loss; to take a defeat in stride basically. not to say that im less confident in that manner, but just being a good sport about it and knowing that its not about winning, but more about the experience of it. and that, is key.

    by the way, i dont think id fare well in debates. i would end up bitchin and swearing their ears off. yes i swear as much in person as i do in my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. dev! thanks for the tips! very useful, since i m stuck writing my dissertation... uhh... *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  6. @merlyna: Oh really? What posting? Where? I haven't seen it yet. Thanks for your compliments anyways, I'm really flattered. Ah but never mind, you have an amazingly sophisticated achievement by now ;) I'm desperately wanna be in your shoes hehehe :D

    @fany: makasih ya. Yup2, bener juga tuh..

    @septian: you're welcome! Keep da good job! ;)

    @debbie: you certainly did. It's bloody obvious LOL.

    @b: oh B, sorry to hear that. Keep the spirit within ok! Best of luck on your dissertation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like "Akeelah and The Bee" very much. It's a really good movie I think. Btw, your tips are really nice.. and don't forget that sometime you need to take a rest too :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi!

    i recently started a new blog - Amazingly Bizarre

    you've exchanged links with me on The JOKES Blog

    Would you like to exchange links with this blog too? Please do!

    If you agree, do leave me a comment after linking to me...and i'll link back to you immediately!

    thanks!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. duh duh ngasi tips ya.....gue juga sering tuh

    ReplyDelete
  10. happy new year devi! thanks for your tips....you hit the nail!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Asking Devi permission to put this blog link at my blog.....
    Assumption: Permission granted.....
    Adding link done.....

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. nice post! I also once touched on the movie Akeelah and the Bee in my blog (a posting entitled Tentang Persahabatan).

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  13. Talking about achievement to be a winner there's some point that disturb me. Which one is true?

    (1) "Hardworking people could beat a talented people"

    (2) "Talented people never been beaten by untalented people, although their practice very hard"

    coz both of that happen in this world.

    btw thx for the tips... maybe i could add one more "enjoy your competition so you wouldn't bother wether you lose or win"

    ReplyDelete
  14. @avante: ah-ha, good questions..! But I think you already know exactly what the answer is. All I'm gonna say is that depends on the people personally. Each of us has been given talent(s) and it's our freedom whether we want to explore and improve it positively or not. You should never judge people from one perspective for the sake of talent. That's very shallow.

    Thanks for your tips anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. waw, kata-katamu berat kali. little diffrent from me.btw tengkyu tipsnya, hope its usefull, see u met taun baru juga lewat 10 hari, slam kenal :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Dev.. Great blog!! *makanya aku dah link.. cepet kali ya.. he,he*

    I believe.. I really wannabe a 'winner'.. :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. i like that quote. it also appears on "Coach Carter" film. one of my fave movie for 2005 :)

    ReplyDelete

Remember to always include your name and e-mail address to get personal reply. Constructive comments are more than welcome. And for the HATERS, thanks for the page hit!