Sunday, October 29, 2006

Turtles Myth

My family owns two turtles up to date. We’ve been having them since I was a kid; maybe around 1997. At the beginning, my mom bought us five young-and-small turtles to enhance her kids’ loving passion for pets, I assumed. To be frank, we had had several dogs before, which ended up died for some reasons; from silly things (we forgot to feed the puppies when our maid was leaving for Lebaran) to sad one (somebody -probably a thief- gave poison to my dog that he died soon since he was bleeding too much *sob*). We’re dog lovers indeed, even though we’re not pretty good to keep a dog long live in our house.

As for turtles, we’ve named them Aaron (Kwok) and Andy (Lau). Yes, they’re man’s names, sorry. No offense. I’ve owned them when I was a kid, remember? And by the time they were given to me, I was addicted to Chinese movies and their actors as well. The rest is history.

Aaron and Andy are Brazilian turtles. I put them into a round-large plastic basin outside the house, near the garden. Somehow I’m a bit confused with Aaron’s shell. It’s not as pretty as Andy’s (the yellowish-green one), easily get mossy yet lose its shell pattern. I suggest he’s not Brazilian, but well, who cares anyway. They’ve been growing very big; bigger than my palms. They have a big hole of mouth that could eat your fingertip as you point it, and their nails; they could tear your skin! No kidding.

As for the food, I often feed them with fish food. Sometimes combine it with rice, vegetables, or papayas. I know it sounds crazy, but they look fine and healthy all the time. I took this picture yesterday, soon after I changed their water.

Some Chinese say having turtles as pets are good for hoki (luckiness) since turtles are long live reptiles. However, on the other hand, some of my Chinese friends think that keeping them as pets will bring a bad luck because usually Chinese releases turtles in particular occasion to avoid bad luck and bring long-liveness to the family. I don’t have any idea which one is true. Do you know the truth? Feel free to tell me.

24 comments:

  1. Salam kenal Devi,

    Keeping pets will give you good luck, only if you treat them just like your brother. Help them to live. You must be heard stories about lions or orang utan that can't live in their real habitat cause of inability to get food for themselves. In this case, release them will bring you a bad luck of course. ha..ha..

    Yap, there's no difference you keep it or not. It depends on how you treat them.

    I love your story...read mine too if you don't mind, ok.

    http://teddibelajarbersyukur.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. kura2??? kyk na asik tuh !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. masa kalo ada orang bila jelek trus loe mao buang????

    tabok lo ka.....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. jelek si ngak,cuma kenapa lo jadi kadang kaya kwok ama lau ? lemot gitu hahhahahahhahahhaha :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude, turtles? Sweet!
    But dude, do you, like, eat, turtles? Duuuddee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wah kura2....jadi pengen pelihara lagi. dulu kura2ku minggat gitu :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. wah! i used to have a turtle.. >< tapi bau gitu pas mati.. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Devi;
    I am here after a long time.Now your blog looks very beautiful.How are your studies going?
    My friend once had a turtle.After some time some one stoled it .
    I will create a link soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @kristee: wah kok bisa minggat?

    @deepak: Hi Deepak, I'm doing good. I'll have my final exams by early December. Thanks for your compliment :) Good luck for your new movie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. punten neng Devi ini asisten rumah tangga yang baru sudah datang:D
    hehehe,,,

    btw gw pernah digigit sm kura2 sawah,,jari sampe biru:( huhuhu...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hahaha...untung ga putus Dhan :p Duh2 gimana sih si Dhani, datengnya telat bgt! Klo PNS uda di-inspeksi mendadak tuh ama Pak Gubernur! Hahaha. Hm kura2 sawah kyk apa ya? Gede bgt?

    ReplyDelete
  12. For me,
    As long as the turtle happy you will get lucky ;)

    AFAIK the myth bout turtle is if they bite you, they won't let it off until they hear a thunder sound.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How YOU doin'! Interesting blog! Have a look at mine and let's exchange links http://onlinemagictricks.blogspot.com Nice working with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've linked you to my blog http://onlinemagictricks.blogspot.com/ Thanks for linking me.
    P.S. I have a new blog http://movie-reviews-now.blogspot.com I've already linked you to it, your move =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! I've linked to you from The JOKES Blog

    Keep up the good work, and thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. klo beli kura-kura brazil..pastikan warnanya lebih ijo, karena banyak yang ketipu..dikirain beli kura-kura brazil eh taunya tuh kura-kura lokal

    ReplyDelete
  17. lucu banged tuh turtle-nya... ehh ajarin tuh turtle-nya... sapa tau bisa jadi kura-kura ninja... hiaaaaaat.. :P

    ReplyDelete
  18. really? i had no idea...

    i dont even believe in luck or chance... im an avid animal lover so ill keep anything that breathes. (except for a few creepy crawlies. ugh)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hah?!
    Ngomong opo to Mbak?
    Aku ra mudeng blas. :(

    ReplyDelete
  20. ...kalo gigit nggak bisa lepas ya? tul nggak sih? :(

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bener Heng, klo uda digigit susah lepas, dan kalopun bisa, daging tangan lo ikut kemakan :p mbak gw pernah digigit soalnya.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A thief poisoned your dog! That's !@#$%

    Hi there, anyway I just stumble upon this by chance! Fellow dog lover too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Salam kenal, saya juga memelihara 2 ekor kura2, menurut saya, kura2 brazil gak akan bisa hidup kalo dilepasin ke sungai di kota. kecuali bisa dilepasin di habitat aslinya, jadi mending dipelihara d.
    btw kalo sempet mampir ya ke blog aku, ada tentang kura2nya jg. thanks cu

    http://moelslife.blogspot.com/2009/02/kura-kura-brazil.html

    ReplyDelete

Remember to always include your name and e-mail address to get personal reply. Constructive comments are more than welcome. And for the HATERS, thanks for the page hit!