Those who have read everything are thought to understand everything too: but it is not always so.
I went to a national library on Salemba Raya 28 this noon to satisfy my curiosity about public libraries available in
- National library has a lot of collections from almost every category (books, manuscripts, papers, magazine, newspapers, audio-visual, etc) which are compiled and classified into 9 different floors.
- The library opens on weekdays from 9 AM to 4 PM.
- Visitors are divided into two categories; members and non-members. Both of them have to fill the guestbook.
- Members are opened to students and public. You will be charged IDR 10,000 per year and given a member card.
- Visitors are provided lockers to deposit their carriage since they are not allowed to bring along bags, backpack, jacket, food and drinks, and plastics. Visitors are required to wear appropriate clothes. Otherwise, you will be penalized for administration charge. However, you are allowed to bring notes and stationary.
- Visitors (both members and non-members) are prohibited to take library’s collection home. What a weird condition to be regarded as a public library.
- Members have privileges to read and make a copy of collections to read it at home.
- Non-members have access only to browse the catalogue on the 2nd floor. You can’t read there or make a copy.
- Most of the visitors coming from high schools and college students nearby.
Updated on Oct 1, 2006: this posting has been reviewed by Jakartass on Sept 29, 2006. Thanks for the grammar correction as well.